Follow the Tokaido Highway
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE AREA
Heritage Area, Cedar Lined cobblestones, ‘Amazake’ (warm / sweet non alcoholic sake), Yamanaka Castle Ruins, Mishima Skywalk
Hachiri literally means 8 Ri, a distance of approximately 32 kilometres. It refers to the stretch of the ancient Tokaido Highway between Odawara (Tokaido Juku #9) and Mishima (Juku #11), via Hakone (Juku #10).
During the Edo Period this stretch was a two day walk over some very mountainous terrain, but rewarded by spectacular views of Mt Fuji, Lake Ashinoko, and the Pacific Ocean.
Some parts of this stretch of Tokaido have been preserved and are enjoyed by many visitors today.
Please wear comfortable walking shoes for the day (about 8 km walking total) and bring a jacket in case of rain.
0830 Meet Odawara Station
– Train Odawara / Hakone Yumoto / Hakone Tozan Bus to Amazake Chaya
– Walk from Amazake Chaya down ancient Tokaido (about 2km) to MotoHakone
– Walk along Cedar Avenue to Hakone Checkpoint (1km)
– Lunch at Hakone Machi
– Bus from Hakone Machi to Settai Chaya cobblestones
– Walk Ancient Tokaido（Settai Chaya cobblestones / Yamanaka Shinda cobblestones) to Yamanaka Castle Ruins
– Bus to Mishima Skywalk
– Bus to Mishima Taisha
– Walk to Mishima Station
Stay in Mishima overnight and enjoy this charming small town.